My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

I’ve put some fragments of my writing into this blog. I’m currently working on a novel, which is called ‘Mad dogs and Irishmen’© and consists of different types of characters, many of which live in their own private world of madness. Most of them are real people. From a young age I wanted to experience different things in life before the world left me, and I often put myself into bizarre situations, so I could taste life in all its glories and mysteries…

Friday, September 22, 2006

Gone to the dogs (part 2)

The Major is busy studying the form on the papers spread over the table and marking the different tips and information with a biro. He’s obviously planning a come back. There’s a lot more to backing a dog than you think. The preparation, the study, the calculations, working out the odds and studying the picture as a whole. It’s a fascinating subject, and you have to take all the variables and work out the result before you take the plunge. This is not a game for the nervous or the unitated. It’s a full time business, which takes huge commitment, and only men with iron nerve need apply.
The Major starts to jump up and down with excitement and keeps shouting:
“I’ve got it. I’ve got it”
“What?”
“’Take A Chance’ is running at Harolds Cross tonight and he’ll walk it. He’s son of ‘Big Mac’ and ‘Lady Jane’, and they’re related to ‘Fair Game’ and ‘The Irish Rover’. With a combination like that you can’t lose”
I think I might stick to ‘Winner Takes All’, and cover him for a few races and try a get a return, or maybe put a cross multiple bet on ‘Take A Chance’ and ‘Dirty Harry’ as an outsider, as he seems like a cute bastard and knows how to deal with the opposition. Screw them on the corners when they’re off balance and go for it. It’s obvious that ‘Dirty Harry’s’ methods work and he probably copied them from ‘Barton Senema’ and ‘Roykill Bootmacker’ who started the fashion.
At this stage the Major is trembling with excitement and shaking, as he picks up the phone and rings his beloved Rebecca who he’s been engaged to for fifteen years.
“Hallo, my Darling. How are we fixed for tonight?”
………………..
“Could you please pick me up this evening and drop me off at Harold’s Cross – it’s important?”
………………..
“No, Rebecca, it’s not like that. You know I’m not using you. I’m doing this for both of us, so we can have a future together and have money for our wedding, so that we can always be together”
………………..
“OK, Darling, I know. This will be the last time, I promise. I won’t disappoint you. We’ll celebrate tonight after the race, and we’ll go into town tomorrow, and I’ll buy you the biggest wedding ring in the shop, and then we’ll organize our wedding”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home